03 junho 2003

VITAMEDIAS
[Uma diferença entre jornalistas e "bloggers:]
'Off the Record' Gates/Jobs Comments Posted Online: The organizers of the Wall Street Journal's D - All Things Digital conference made reporters promise that all sessions were off the record unless the speakers specifically agreed to put the comments on the record. Regular conference attendees were under no such restraint, and as a result we have coverage from the audience, not the journalists.
Denise Howell has posted Bill Gates' and Steve Jobs' remarks on her weblog. Should I post my own coverage soon, now that Denise (and others in the audience) are filing their own stories? Why shouldn't I? (I won't because I said I wouldn't.)
Denise Howell: So, I've been noticing a little chatter about this press/blogger distinction as I continue to post my notes from D. No one has asked me not to do this (a fact that is utterly unsurprising to me given the overall insignificance of this weblog and its authoress). Moreover, nothing on the conference Web site, in the related materials I received or in the comments from the stage led me to believe the remarks of the speakers were not an appropriate subject for public discussion.
[act.: Gag Rules? Bloggers Report Anyway: The Wall Street Journal is thinking of changing the reporting rules for its high-profile technology conference after a couple of webloggers inadvertently broke a gag order. [...]
Saul Wurman, organizer of the long-running TED conference (which is now TedMed), said reporting restrictions are meaningless, a smoke screen to make attendees think they will be party to confidential information.
"It gives a certain panache to things," Wurman said. "It gives people the impression they are hearing things no one has heard before. I don't think it affects what (the speakers) say. They play their cards too close. These aren't the kind of people who spill the beans. It's an artificial restriction."]