14 julho 2006

VITAMEDIAS

["News-Suppress" ou] Why I Quit the News-Press: I quit the Santa Barbara News-Press last week after more than 46 years because I couldn?t bear to watch the destruction of a fine newspaper. And it was too painful to see the destruction of the lives of dedicated staffers whose only crime was publishing the news. And I could not continue to work at a paper that had lost its credibility and its soul.
In a bizarre Kafkaesque/Castro twist, a story about suppression of the news was suppressed. Last Friday, a news account written for that day?s paper describing the biggest story in town???the resignation of five editors (now seven, including myself)???was killed. About 150 newspapers from the U.K. to India ran the story, along with the L.A. Times???but not the News-Press. Even News-Press employees outside the newsroom were shocked and upset. One executive told fellow staffers: ?Wendy McCaw may own the paper, but she doesn?t own the news.?